If you are looking for an unforgettable adventure in Canada’s northwest territories, visit Tombstone Territorial Park which has everything, including high mountains, rocky tundra, and animals in great numbers.
You can find out about the history of the park, what to anticipate from the scenery, and the best methods to explore the area in this thorough guide. Hence, prepare for the adventure by packing your bags.
1. Introduction to Tombstone Territorial Park
Tombstone Territorial Park is an expansive wilderness area in Canada’s Yukon territory, located approximately 270 kilometers northwest of Whitehorse. Spanning 17,000 square kilometers and encompassing mountains, valleys, rivers, and forests, it offers a variety of activities for visitors looking to explore the great outdoors.
Wildlife viewing is also an activity that can be enjoyed in the park, with caribou, foxes, wolves, and other animals commonly sighted within its boundaries.
Tombstone Park is a great location for sightseeing, trekking, fishing, camping, canoeing and is paradise for adventure lovers. This magnificent park has something to experience and appreciate for everyone thanks to its wide variety of natural wonders and wildlife species, which include grizzly bears, moose, bison, and more.
Afterwards, Tombstone Park is a haven for outdoor aficionados, making a visit there ideal for anyone who enjoys being outside.
2. What to Know Before Your Visit
Before you visit Tombstone Territorial Park, there are a few crucial things to consider.
- To maximize your pleasure while maintaining your safety, be sure you are familiar with the park’s rules and safety precautions.
- Make sure you have the essential equipment, including clothing, hiking boots, and any other items you may need, after looking over the available activities list.
- Exploring requires constant caution; usually include a map, compass, and first aid kit accessible. Alternatively, keep an eye out for any wildlife you may encounter around and give it plenty of space.
- Make sure you are ready for your journey before going to Tombstone Park if you’re an outdoor enthusiast who loves to explore and take in the beauty of nature.
- Research the park’s animals as well. Making more informed decisions about suitable viewing angles and animal behaviour will be possible as a result.
- Your trip to the park will be more enjoyable and safe since you’ll be more aware of your surroundings and able to make more informed decisions about viewing distances and evolutionary psychology when you observe them.
3. Activities & Attractions in the Park
The wide range of activities offered by Tombstone Park is sure to please everyone who visits, from the seasoned outdoor enthusiast to the casual family tourist.
- From horseback riding to ice fishing and snowshoeing, this gorgeous Arctic park has much to offer everyone.
- Backcountry campsites are an option for those seeking a more adventurous camping trip, in addition to front-country campgrounds.
- With the summertime Midnight Sun and Northern Lights in winter, Tombstone Territorial Park visitors will develop lifelong memories that are unforgettable.
- Boasting some of the most rugged and beautiful terrains in the Yukon, Tombstone Territorial Park is home to a variety of wildlife such as wolves, caribou, muskoxen, and more.
- Visitors can also take advantage of excellent bird-watching opportunities from March through September when the tundra comes alive with songbirds.
- This picturesque park offers something for everyone, from hiking trails to campgrounds, likewise a chance to observe the incredible array of Arctic flora and fauna in its natural habitat.
- Whether you’re looking for an adrenaline-filled adventure or a quiet getaway, Tombstone Territorial Park is the perfect destination to take in the beauty of the Yukon.
- Tombstone Territorial Park offers activities for hikers of all levels, from strolls to strenuous treks as well as biking.
- It does not matter if you want to enjoy a stroll or challenge yourself with a more demanding hike or bike ride, the park has trails that suit all skill levels.
4. Tips for Enjoying the Park
- To get the most out of your visit to Tombstone Park, it is imperative that you plan ahead and arrive prepared.
- To ensure that you get the most out of Tombstone Park, bring a map of the area, proper clothing and footwear, water, and food.
- While you explore the breathtaking sights that Tombstone campground has to offer, including imposing mountain ranges, alpine tundra, boreal forests, and rolling hills, be sure to dress appropriately for the weather and wear sturdy shoes.
- While exploring this unusual environment, be sure to adhere to all park guidelines and restrictions at Tombstone camping. You may make your visit to Grizzly Lake and Tombstone Territorial Park truly unforgettable with a little bit of forethought and planning.
- Be certain you have a plan for your destination. You can enjoy the park safely and without getting lost or running out of time if you have a plan in place for the trails or regions you want to visit.
- For hikers, mountain bikers, horseback riders, and campers, it is ideal because to its rocky terrain and winding pathways. For further information on safety precautions, pit toilets, bear safety advice, a gift store, and maps of the area, make sure to visit the Tombstone Territorial Park website before you begin your expedition.
- You can make sure that your trip to Tombstone Territorial Park is both entertaining and secure by doing the necessary due diligence and preparation.
- Tombstone Territorial Park offers a unique experience that cannot be equaled. It’s the perfect opportunity to explore the unique natural setting and record it in various ways on camera using Grizzly Pass. Keep a look out for some local wildlife during your visit to the picnic shelter, as well as day treks. Also, don’t forget to take some time to stop and take in the scenery.
5. Accommodations & Dining Options
Tombstone Territorial Park offers a variety of accommodation and dining options for visitors exploring the wilderness.
- For example, there are 3 campground areas with separate backcountry sites and a cozy cabin, as well as communal kitchens where you can prepare meals. There is also a microwave oven, BBQs, and picnic tables for visitors to use.
- The park also provides guided interpretive hikes led by park staff or volunteers, horseback riding tours, canoe and kayak rentals, and wildlife viewing opportunities.
- For those looking for a more relaxing experience, there are also a few shops and restaurants located in nearby towns.
- For visitors looking for an upscale experience while enjoying the park, Tombstone Territorial Park offers two rustic accommodations. The first is the Wilderness Lodge, which has 17 private rooms and access to a restaurant serving gourmet meals, the second is the Yukon Riverview cabin which offers a full kitchen and breathtaking views over the river valley.
- Tombstone Park is a great spot for those looking to explore the beauty of Canada’s north while having access to more luxurious amenities. The lodge and cabin are both situated on the banks of the Teslin River and Mount Frank Rae, offering spectacular views, camping permits, and incredible wildlife spotting opportunities.
- Additionally, Tombstone Pass offers extensive hiking trails and additional activities, such as rafting and canoeing, that make it a truly special place for an unforgettable getaway.
- Besides the many incredible outdoor experiences to have at Tombstone Territorial Park, there are plenty of dining options throughout the park and in the city of Whitehorse.
- Picnic areas located throughout the park offer visitors snacks and refreshments from nearby businesses with traditional local cuisines like bison burgers, caribou stew, unique wilderness, and poutine from cafes, restaurants, and pubs within Whitehorse.
6. Travel Planning
- Examining the travel guides on the park’s website is a wonderful place to start when organising your trip to Tombstone Territorial Park. It offers downloadable maps, links to their web reservation system, and a thorough rundown of the park’s facilities and entertainment options.
- Tombstone Park in the Yukon Territory, Canada, gives tourists an unmatched encounter with pristine nature complete with breath-taking views, alpine meadows, and a wide variety of wildlife.
- Campouts, hikes, and fishing are just a few of the recreational opportunities available to visitors in this lovely area. In addition to the park’s outdoor activities, tourists can learn about the rich gold rush past of the Yukon at nearby museums and landmarks, which are also within or close to Tombstone Territorial Park. Other nearby attractions include Grizzly Valley, a number of car camping sites, and several backpacking-friendly backcountry areas. A trip to Tombstone Park will undoubtedly result in enduring memories that you won’t quickly forget because it has so much to offer.
- From the trek at Talus Lake, visitors can see Mount Monolith and another aspect of the well-known Tombstone Mountain.
- On the website for Tombstone Territorial Park, you can also find details about admission costs, security advice, isolated wilderness, and other travel advice that is necessary for organising a fruitful trip. When on vacation, visitors should be conscious of the park’s entrance fees, as well as its cultural and natural history, and make sure they have the necessary documentation with them.
- If you want to visit Tombstone Interpretive Centre, turn left onto the Dempster Highway and then continue to drive for another 1 hour.
- Don’t forget to check out the available camping and lodging options in the area, including backcountry camping for those who want a true wilderness experience!
- The camping and lodging options at Tombstone Park should also be considered. Whether one wants to experience the woods or prefers the luxury of a hotel, or tent pads; everyone may find something to appreciate.
In conclusion, Tombstone Territorial Park is a remarkable destination for those seeking adventure in Canada’s Northwest Territories.
Whether you’re looking to hike, camp, observe wildlife, or simply take in the incredible landscape, this beautiful park has something for everyone. Keep this guide handy and get out into nature to explore this beautiful area!
Read more from us here.