The City of Brampton is home to many volunteer organizations that serve our community in different ways. Volunteers are an integral part of the success of these organizations, and they often rely on one another’s support to accomplish their goals.
Big Brothers Big Sisters Of Peel
You can volunteer with the Big Brothers Big Sisters of Peel. The organization works with children from ages 5 to 12 and teens 13-17 years old. Volunteers help young people develop skills for independence, learn about relationships, build self-confidence and make friends.
Some of their programs include:
- BPL Volunteer Program – The Brampton Public Library (BPL) offers a volunteer program where volunteers work together on projects that benefit the library’s patrons. This is a great option if you want to take on a leadership role as well as get involved with helping people in your community!
- City of Brampton Cultural Services – If you like working behind the scenes and don’t mind getting your hands dirty, consider volunteering at one of the cultural facilities operated by the City of Brampton Cultural Services including Rose Theatre, Garden Square Theatre or Peel Art Gallery Museum + Archives (PAMA).
Brampton Library is a volunteer-run organization that offers a number of services including:
- Hours – 7 days a week, 11 am to 9 pm
- Locations – Brampton Library, Chinguacousy Branch, Heart Lake Branch and Mayfield Branch
- Services- Borrowing books and eBooks, DVDs & music CDs; downloading eBooks/audio books; internet access (wireless or wired); meeting rooms (resorbable); photocopiers and fax machines; researching genealogy using Ancestry Library Edition database
- Resources- Book collections (large print titles available) in English and French plus an assortment of magazines; audiobooks in CD format from the Library’s collection as well as downloadable titles through Overdrive Audiobooks
- Programs- Baby Storytime for babies 0-4 years old with their caregivers every Wednesday at 10:30 am for 30 minutes at each branch location. This program is held indoors during inclement weather. There are no programs scheduled on statutory holidays
City of Brampton Cultural Services
With a mission to enrich and enhance the lives of all residents through cultural programs, activities and services, the City of Brampton Cultural Services is a great organization to volunteer for.
They offer many interesting ways to get involved in the community.
- Get involved by helping out with running special events like live theatre performances or festivals.
- Help out with arts education programs like summer camps or school trips.
- Provide administrative support through office duties such as filing paperwork or managing digital files.
Community Living Brampton
Community Living Brampton is a non-profit organization that provides services for individuals with developmental disabilities. The organization provides support and services to people, their families and the community at large. Community Living Brampton offers a wide range of services such as residential homes, group homes and day programs within the City of Brampton.
For Youth Initiative (FYI)
For Youth Initiative (FYI) is a youth-led organization that provides a safe space and resources for youth. The drop-in centre offers an array of opportunities for learning new skills, gaining support, and finding help with trauma. FYI is run by four core volunteers who are all former participants in the program. The organization strives to provide opportunities for youth to take initiative in their own lives; as such, its volunteers are encouraged to volunteer outside of FYI’s walls as well.
Heart House Hospice – Adult Program
Heart House Hospice – Adult Program is a volunteer program that provides palliative care, respite care, emotional support, information and education, support groups and spiritual support. The Heart House Hospice – Adult Program serves adults with advanced cancer and other serious illnesses.
Volunteer Organizations Volunteer In Brampton
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Peel
- Brampton Library
- City of Volunteer in Brampton Cultural Services
- Community Living Brampton, which provides services for children and adults with disabilities.
- For Youth Initiative (FYI), an organization that offers a variety of programs to help youth in the city. The program, funded by the City of Brampton, has been running since 1983 and has had over 5,000 students participate in its programs so far. Students enrolled in their programs are able to do things like go on field trips or take part in arts activities after school or on weekends.
Some examples where volunteering is needed include Heart House Hospice – Adult Program, Heart House Hospice – Children’s Program and more.
Brampton has many volunteer organizations that are dedicated to helping the community. These are just some of them, but there are many more.