Nowadays, without an internet connection, life may come to a stop. Whether you have a PC or a smartphone, you need to be connected to the internet most of the time for things to run smoothly.
Connecting your computer to wi-fi to access the internet is much better than using cables. But for that, your PC needs to have the right hardware as well as you need to know how to connect wifi with desktop.
A desktop computer can connect to wi-fi, but if it doesn’t already have a wi-fi card installed, you’ll need to add wi-fi support. You can connect to a wireless local network if your computer is equipped with the necessary wireless networking hardware.
How to Connect Wi-Fi with Desktop
Although not all desktop computers have Wi-Fi connectivity pre-installed, most come with an Ethernet connector for connecting to your local network and the internet using an Ethernet cable. Of course, you can connect a PC to Wi-Fi without an adapter, but you can also do so.
In this guide, we have mentioned two ways to connect wifi with desktop: with and without a wireless network adapter. Keep reading the instructions and you will know it all.
1. How to Connect Wi-Fi with Desktop with a Wireless Network Adapter
If your PC has a wireless network adapter and you have a Windows desktop, then by following the steps mentioned below, you will be able to connect to Wi-Fi:
- First, click on the Notification area or press the Windows key + A.
- Click on Network.
- Click on the Wi-Fi icon and enable Wi-Fi and wait for the name of the networks near you to get listed.
- Select Connect after choosing the network you want to connect to.
- If prompted, provide the network password.
Most likely, you could access the internet after entering the password. If you cannot connect to the internet somehow, try checking your connections and internet speed.
Note: Make sure you are connected to secured networks only. The use of a VPN is put forward for greater and enhanced security.
2. How to Connect Wi-Fi with Desktop without a Wireless Network Adapter
In the event that you don’t have a USB adapter or wireless network adapter, the methods listed below will enable you to connect your desktop computer to a wireless internet connection.
2.1 Your Smartphone Will Act as a Network Adapter
Below are the steps mentioned on how to connect Wi-Fi with desktop using your smartphone:
- Take your smartphone and a USB cable. You can also use your charging USB cable for connection. If your device is an Android, it may be a Micro-USB or USB-C. It might be a lightning cable if you use an iPhone.
- Boot your PC.
- Connect your smartphone through USB to your computer. Once plugged in successfully, you will get a notification on the screen.
- Now on your smartphone, turn on wifi. Guarantee that your smartphone is registered to the Wi-Fi network of your choosing.
- From the notification bar of your smartphone, click on the USB notification and choose USB tethering from the options. Additionally, you can modify it by going to the settings of your smartphone. If you are an Android user, go to Network and Internet, then click on Hotspot & Tethering and toggle the USB tethering on. If you are an iPhone user, go to Cellular, then click on Personal Hotspot and turn on Personal Hotspot.
Wait for some time after you are done following the steps above. If everything goes smoothly, you will see a desktop symbol in your desktop’s taskbar instead of the wifi bars symbol. This ensures that you are connected to the internet.
2.2 Share Wi-Fi Using Your Laptop
A Wi-Fi adaptor is usually included with laptops. Below are the steps mentioned on how to connect your desktop to wifi using your laptop:
- Turn on your laptop and connect it to a Wi-Fi network.
- Once you’ve found the control panel, click on network and internet.
- Tap on Network and Sharing Center.
- Click on Change Adapter Settings which you will find on the left side of your screen.
- Right-click on the wireless network paired with your laptop after finding it.
- You will see a box opened on your screen showing Wi-Fi properties. The sharing tab can be found at the top of the screen; click on it.
- Tick the box saying ‘allow other network users to connect through the computer’s internet connection’.
- Connect your PC and laptop using an ethernet cable.
Once your PC recognizes the connection, you will get a notification. However, after connecting the cable, you might possibly need to choose the Ethernet option. Select Bridge Connections by right-clicking on it.
2.3 Ethernet Connection between a Router and PC
You can also connect your desktop to Wi-Fi via a router if you happen to have a wireless gadget but no wifi hardware for your computer. Using an Ethernet cable, link your wireless device to your PC and use the router as a repeater. This will save your pocket, and a USB Wi-Fi adapter for your computer won’t be necessary.
In case you don’t have a router, choose to buy a Wi-Fi adapter. It is a more pocket-saving option than a router.
Below are the steps mentioned on how to connect wifi with desktop using router as a wifi repeater:
- On your router, connect an ethernet cable to an ethernet port.
- You should connect the other end of this Ethernet cable to the WAN port on the secondary router you plan to utilise as a Wi-Fi repeater.
- Use your secondary router’s IP address and login credentials to access the admin settings. Frequently, the router will have a label on it with this information and instructions, or you can look it up in the packing or manual. These are the same administrative settings used to modify a router or modem’s password.
- Find the router’s wireless settings and select AP Mode after successfully logging in. By doing this, you may effectively extend the range of your Wi-Fi beyond the primary router for the strongest signal by making your wireless router an access point for your internet connection.
With all these given methods, you can get yourself a good internet connection on your computer without purchasing a wifi adapter.
3. Check for Wireless Network Adapter in Your Computer
Here are the prerequisites you must meet before configuring your wireless network:
- Broadband Internet connection and modem.
- Wireless router
- Wireless network adapter
If you follow the steps of how to connect wifi with desktop with a wireless adapter, then you must ensure your computer has a wireless adapter as it is necessary to connect to a Wi-Fi network.
Typically, a wireless adapter can be found on a laptop, or tablet, but not a computer. To check and confirm whether you have it or not, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Click on the Start icon.
- Search for Device Manager by typing it in the search box.
- Now select Device Manager.
- Click twice on Network adapters to expand it.
- If an adapter contains Wi-Fi, wireless, WLAN, or 802.11 in its name, look it up in the list of network adapters. If you discover one, your computer likely has a wireless adapter.
You might need to purchase a USB Wi-Fi adapter for your computer if it doesn’t already have a wireless network adapter. For your network connection to function properly, you should also confirm that the network adapter driver and other device drivers on your computer are current.
Connecting your computer to Wi-Fi to access the internet is much better than using cables. But for that, your PC needs to have the right hardware as well as you need to know how to connect wifi with desktop.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How do I connect to wifi on Windows 10 without an adapter?
For any version of Windows, the steps mentioned in this how to connect wifi with desktop guide are the same.
2. Can I connect an old computer to Wi-Fi?
Yes, you can connect an old computer to Wi-Fi. Though it might not be easier than usual to connect old desktop PCs with wireless internet access, you can still follow the above-mentioned steps and methods.
3. How do I connect my old desktop to Wi-Fi using internet sharing?
Link your laptop to your preferred Wi-Fi connection before utilising an ethernet cable to connect it to your desktop computer to connect your old desktop computer to Wi-Fi via internet sharing.
4. Can a PC connect to Wi-Fi without ethernet?
Yes, a PC can absolutely content to Wi-Fi without ethernet. You can join a wireless Wi-Fi network without using Ethernet because it is a wired connection.
5. Why can’t I connect my desktop to Wi-Fi?
It’s likely that the network settings have changed or the profile is broken if you previously had no trouble connecting to a wi-fi network. Remove the network connection, then re-connect to the network, to resolve this.
6. How do I know if my computer has Wi-Fi?
To know if you have wi-fi in your computer, follow the steps mentioned under the heading “Check For Wireless Network Adapter In Your Computer” in our how to connect wifi with desktop.
Nowadays, without an internet connection, life may come to a stop. Whether you have a PC or a smartphone, you must be connected to the internet most of the time for things to run smoothly.
If your desktop computer doesn’t already have a Wi-Fi card installed, you’ll need to do so before it can join the network. If your computer has the required wireless networking hardware, you can join a wireless local network.
Connecting your PC to Wi-Fi is easy as it can be. You just need the proper hardware and a guide to how to connect wifi with desktop. Hope our guide will solve your problems and help you to connect to the internet with a wireless connection effortlessly.