Exercise helps you lead a healthy lifestyle. It also assists you in staying active. Planning or discussing to commence your new workout routine is simple, but you have to think well before you put your plans into action.
Why is it so? Because you may find beginning a new exercise program intimidating. But once you grasp how to start and stay motivated, your exercise routine will be a piece of cake.
Have you ever wondered why is it important to ease into an exercise program? Because easing into the program is critical for both your mind and body.
If this is your first workout and you directly plunge into tedious exercises, it will result in serious injuries. Here, we have explained everything about the necessity of easing into an exercise program. Let us start looking at them.
1. Why is it Important to Ease into an Exercise Program?
You might have numerous reasons to commence a new workout routine. You may be a beginner, resuming your exercise program after recovering from an injury or returning to it after a long hiatus. Whatever the reason, you should not hurry in any of the situations.
It is vital to ease into your workout program. When you fail to do so and rush things, chances are high that you will get injured. Are you eager to know why? Because you don’t have previous exposure to such intense movements. Also, you are overworking your muscles. Hence, you are at a higher risk of getting an injury.
Moreover, you might also lose motivation if you can’t reach the target you have set for yourself in your workout program. Hence, if you ease into your exercise program, you provide ample time to yourself to adapt and become accustomed to working out.
These are a few reasons for easing into an exercise program. Let us look more deeply at the importance and how to implement it properly.
1.1. Identify the Need for Your Workout Program
The first step you have to do before you start exercising is to ask yourself why you need this program. Are you choosing this since you want a healthy life? Or do you intend to decrease your weight? Identifying the reason for your workout will help you stay motivated.
This motivation is essential in your early days of workouts since you might be waiting for any excuse to stop this program. Whenever you feel like quitting, recollect why you began. This thought will refrain you from giving up.
1.1.1. What are the Other Reasons?
Another reason to identify the need for your exercise program is to choose which exercises can be part of your exercise plan, as they may vary depending on your needs.
In a few scenarios, you may observe exercises overlapping. However, you can include strength training exercises, cardio, and stretching in your workout routine. If your focus is to lose weight, concentrate on cardio. If you wish to increase your strength, focus on strength training exercises.
All these steps will help you answer the query: Why is it important to ease into an exercise program?
1.2. Hold a Discussion with Your Doctor
Before you begin your workouts, you can discuss with your doctor. Especially if you are a beginner, you can gain essential information and physical activity guidelines.
- Your doctor will also help you find the best exercises to start with and provide you with the appropriate timeline for when to commence your workouts.
- You can even consult experts in this branch. They will advise you and offer you suggestions on how you can prevent injuries while exercising.
- If you have some existing health conditions that might hinder your plans to exercise, convey them to your doctor.
- Your doctor will offer you the best advice to overcome those conditions. The doctor will also suggest the precautions you should take during your workouts.
1.3. Examine Your Fitness Level
It is vital to examine your fitness level before beginning your exercise program. You might be starting a new fitness routine or resuming after a long hiatus, but never miss this step.
- Being aware of your current physical fitness can aid you in concluding which exercises will be apt during your initial stages.
- Another advantage of knowing your fitness level is it lets you measure and record your baseline fitness scores.
- You can measure your flexibility, aerobic fitness, body composition, and other factors.
- All these measurements will assist you in tracking your fitness progress and determine if your exercise program is yielding results.
Don’t you think all these actions are necessary to answer the query: Why is it Important to Ease Into an Exercise Program?
1.4. Develop an Appropriate Exercise Plan
You can develop an appropriate exercise plan by yourself or seek the assistance of an expert. If you are a beginner at workouts, you will find it challenging to figure out where to commence. You can seek advice from a doctor or an expert in these cases.
They will suggest you basic workouts which can aid you in avoiding injury.
- If you are not a beginner and resuming your workout sessions, start slowly with low-intensity activity. Doing so will not stress your body much. Some good examples of these workouts include aerobics and cardio workouts without jumping.
- When you develop your exercise plan, you should consider your fitness goals.
- Once you identify these fitness goals, you can find the apt exercises to include in your workout program to achieve those goals.
Why is it important to ease into an exercise program? All these explanations reveal the answer.
1.4.1. Is There Any Other Factor to Be Considered?
Yes. Another factor you have to consider while developing your workout plan is your routine. This routine will let you decide your workout time. You may fix it in the morning. If morning is inconvenient, you can do it in the afternoon or evening.
While choosing your workout schedule, consider your other regular activities too. Doing so will help you remain consistent as the week progresses, and you can gradually improve yourself in workouts. You can stay safe too.
You should also maintain balance in your exercise program. Ensure you include various types of exercises in your workout plan.
1.5. Workout with a Personal Trainer
Don’t think twice if you can afford to work alongside a personal trainer. It will be convenient for you to begin a new exercise program. Your personal trainer will oversee your workout routine, ensure you don’t overdo things, and safely start your new exercises.
Furthermore, your personal trainer will provide valuable workout tips and prepare an exercise routine according to your fitness level, goals, and interests.
1.6. Get Accustomed to Your New Exercise Program
It is natural to feel excited when you start something new. So, when you commence a new exercise program or resume after a long gap, do it slowly. Listen to your body. Exercising with vigorous intensity on your first day is not a good idea.
Start slowly, go for short intervals after your workouts, and schedule good rest days to give your body time to heal perfectly.
1.7. Drink Plenty of Water
When you begin a new exercise program, it is essential to consume plenty of water. While exercising, you will lose lots of sweat and fluids. So, your body will require water to compensate for this loss.
When you expose your body to physical activity for the first time, consuming sufficient water will keep you hydrated.
1.8. Warmups and Cooldowns
Your workout plans should always include warmups and cooldowns. Are these two so important? Yes. When you warm up before you start exercising, it can aid you in improving blood flow to your muscles, loosening up your joints, and staying safe from injuries.
Whereas cooling down after you exercise will assist in restoring your heart rate to its regular resting rate, decrease soreness, and prevent injuries.
1.9. Listen to Your Body
During your workouts, it is significant to listen to your body. It will show you whether your new exercise program is effective or ineffective.
- If you are working out strength exercises, your body will become toned if it is successful.
- Whereas, if you are working out to lose weight, your body will become slim, indicating your workout is successful. You should keenly notice if there is any discomfort while exercising.
- Observe whether you feel pain or are you feeling slightly breathless.
- Any such abnormalities are signs from your body that your exercise program is inappropriate is very intense. In these scenarios, you should stop immediately.
1.10. Start with Simple Exercises
You may begin a new exercise program or resume it after a break. Whatever the case, it is advisable to keep all your exercise simple. You don’t have to rush into challenging workouts. Start with small ones.
First, get used to working out. Concentrate on staying fit too. Once you accomplish these two, you can gradually increase your exercises and advance to complex ones.
1.11. Increase Your Workout Intensity
There are various intensities in workouts. They are light intensity, light intensity to moderate, moderate intensity, and moderate intensity to vigorous intensity.
In light intensity, you put only a small amount of effort into your regular exercise. In this workout, you will find it easy to breathe.
In light to moderate, you put a little more effort. You will notice your breathing become obvious. You will be able to talk in full sentences during this workout.
1.11.1. What about Others?
In moderate, you put an average effort. You will find your breathing becomes heavy. Though you can talk in full sentences, you need more breaths every minute.
In vigorous, you will put hard effort. You will find you become slightly out of breath. You can communicate in phrases during this workout.
Initially, a light-intensity workout program is the best. Later, you can switch to vigorous ones. However, when you increase the intensity of your exercise program, ensure you do it gradually.
1.12. Purchase a Few Exercise Equipment
You need not purchase all the types of equipment available at the gym. Get only those that will assist you in making your workout program more efficient. Dumbbells and resistance bands are some best examples.
You can try out the types of equipment you intend to buy at any fitness center. If you find it satisfying, then proceed to acquire it. You may also use fitness apps to track your workout progress and walking distance. These apps will also help in monitoring your heart rate.
1.13. Incorporate Activity into Your Daily Routine
You may find it challenging to dedicate time to workouts in your busy schedule. The best way to overcome this situation is to allot time for your exercise program as you would for your other activities.
- You may combine your preferred activities with your exercise program. Want to know how?
- You can see your favorite movie or series while on the treadmill. If you like books over movies, read when you ride a stationary bike.
- When you have to go somewhere for work-related activities, and you know it is a short distance, choose to go on a walk.
- Skip going by a cab or getting a lift. All these are better ways to ease into your exercise program while enjoying your favorite activities.
1.14. Break Things up if Required
What do you mean by breaking things up in your workout program? It means not doing your entire exercise in a single shot. Instead, you can split it all through the day.
You can squeeze your exercise program into your schedule effectively if you break it into short sessions rather than full-hour ones.
Q1) Will You Have Health Benefits if You Ease into a Workout Routine?
Yes, you have lots. You can enhance your stamina, mental health, and strength. It can also aid in minimizing the risk of chronic disease, including heart disease, and ensure your overall health is good.
Q2) What are the Side Effects When Overdoing Your Exercise Program?
When you overdo your exercise program, it may result in your muscles becoming tight and weak. There are also possibilities for joint pain and other problems to occur.
Why is it important to ease into an exercise program? As you have seen above, easing into an exercise program has countless benefits. With regular exercise, you can stay healthy, succeed in losing weight, maintain your fitness levels, and whatnot.
You can join exercise classes if you feel bored exercising alone at home. Overall, exercises help you remain active and lead a healthy lifestyle.
Here is something you may like.